Thursday, February 10, 2011

Warming Up Our Welcome

What makes us Christian? We could name off a hundred qualities. In yesterday's Bible study, we learned there are three key practices:

1. Hospitality
2. Generosity
3. Not taking vengeance

An odd list, isn't it? Why is hospitality such a big deal in Christian life? Perhaps because sharing a meal with strangers is the closest we will ever get to experiencing the realm of God on earth.

Hospitality has been on my mind a lot lately. Pastor Rob Leveridge and the new member committee track our worship visitors, and in the last few months we have had about 200 people join us as first-time guests. Pastor Leah Fowler and the adult education committee have sponsored several visits here and in Villa Park with Muslim neighbors from the Islamic Foundation. Our Annual Meeting in January was on the theme of welcoming newcomers. Our February new members class has 23 people in it -- much larger than average.

What keeps people coming back? Here is a testimony from one person:

I have been going to church all my life. I was baptized a Baptist and I have been to other denominations as well. Lately they all seem to be preaching prosperity only. When my nephew died we came to you all asking for a large place to have his funeral. I never experienced so much compassion from strangers before.

It was the week following his funeral that we attended regular service and found that you all were preaching love for all people, feeding the hungry and finding housing for people. I felt so much love in this church. I have a different view of what religion is.

Baby, it's cold outside. But with hospitality like ours, it's warm on the inside.

I'll be back next week to talk about generosity, and in two weeks we'll cover forgiveness. Grace and peace. Show compassion to a stranger this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment