Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Psalm after Yoga

Since Easter, I've tried writing a poem each week. This one was inspired by my study of the psalms during Lent, and came to me after a truly wonderful yoga class.

Holy One,
Your arms encircle me from behind
I abide with you, leaning back,
Resting in your steadfast love and faithfulness.

Ground of being,
At heart level
Your left hand plucks a string
Stretched tight along my length.
Your right hand drags the bow
You play me
Every string reverberating
Across soft, wide hips moving slowly to birth notes.

Bones reaching for sinew, shape,
To be wrapped in rumbling scrape
Sound resonates,
Emerges from lungs, blood, muscle, lips, navel
Center of all you have made me, responding to your touch.
Air alive with notes that ricochet
across vibrating cells.

My body learns peace
that follows pain,
Belonging
after breaking,
Wholeness
that satisfies desire.
Trust
that replaces anxiety.

With you I create music
I am your instrument.
The song is blessing.
I sing with the breath of joy
So real I can taste it.

No comments:

Post a Comment