Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Worship Buddy

A woman I'll call Susan sent me an email last week, asking if we could arrange to baptize her son. Since I had not met Susan before, I invited her to come and meet with me at church so we could get acquainted.

"I was baptized in another church when I was a baby," Susan explained, "but I haven't really been to worship since then." She is now about 30 years old, with a 2-year-old son and another baby due this fall. "I feel that now it's time for me to learn about the faith, and to introduce my children to the church."

I was happy to tell Susan about First United. I invited her to worship with us and to bring her children to Sunday School. She looked a bit hesitant, then said, "How will I know what to do?" I realized then that worship is a whole new ballgame for Susan. She isn't sure what to expect and doesn't want to feel out of place in the sanctuary.

"How about if we find a worship buddy for you?" I asked. "We'll ask a member who has been here for awhile to sit with you in worship and explain what we do. Does that sound good?" Susan nodded and smiled, looking more relaxed.

It's easy to assume that everyone knows how to "do church." What a privilege to introduce someone to worship for the first time! If you see a newcomer in the pews who looks a bit bewildered, I hope you'll offer to be a worship buddy.

God bless you, Susan! We're glad you found us.

No comments:

Post a Comment