Sunday, August 14, 2011

Keeping the Sabbath Holy

This weekend I am at a contemplative prayer retreat for clergy. We are staying at a Church of the Brethen conference center in New Windsor, MD. On my morning jog, I see more cows than people. The center is placed in a lovely farm community, surrounded by fields, and the sky here seems enormous.

We have had a silent Sabbath today, practicing silence together since 8:00 pm last night. All of our meals are eaten silently. I've learned to eat for pleasure, rather than just to fuel my body. I've learned that food tastes a lot better when you actually pay attention to what you're eating. I can remember every single thing I've eaten in the last 24 hours, because there were no distractions to my meals, and I was not in a hurry. I'd like to eat this way more often!

Tonight we gathered for a silent communion service. We have learned to sit in a circle in quiet reflection, and only the presider spoke during the service. We shared the bread and juice quietly, and passed the peace by grasping each other's hands and looking into each other's eyes, with no words. I could feel the joy of the sacrament, and my heart was full of gratitude at the end of the service.

I walked outside to watch the sun set. Clouds created shadows around the apricot and scarlet rays of the setting sun. And when I looked to the south, I could see lightning flashing across the sky. To the east, the sky was light and to the north, there were just a few clouds. Though the storm raged many miles away to the south, the rest of the horizon was peaceful. An image of life, when you take the time to keep the Sabbath holy.

No comments:

Post a Comment