Friday, December 23, 2011

Making Space for God

I spent Advent this year making space for God. I threw out things I don't need. I set aside a few minutes each day for prayer and gratitude. I didn't buy as many gifts as usual, and spent more time writing cards to loved ones.

Instead of being full of myself, I'm trying to be full of God.

I was inspired by this Lao Tzu poem, called "The Uses of Not."

Thirty spokes meet in the hub.
Where the wheel isn't is where it's useful.
Hollowed out, clay makes a pot.
Where the pot's not is where it's useful.
Cut doors and windows to make a room.
Where the room isn't, there's room for you.

When we empty ourselves, we make space for God. We leave room to listen to the better angels of our nature.

May the angels sing to you, bringing good news of great joy to all people! Christmas blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment