Saturday, April 7, 2012

Three Pairs of Black Pants and Holy Saturday

Today is Holy Saturday, the day when Christ lay in the tomb, before he rose on Easter Sunday. Jesus and his followers were Jewish, so this was their Sabbath. They were unable to do any work, so this was a day of silence and rest. On this day of Holy Week, nothing happened.

I went to do my laundry early this morning, and I realized I had three pairs of black pants in one load of wash. Black is our Holy Week uniform at First United. I wore all black for Maundy Thursday. I wore all black for the Good Friday Walk of Justice from noon to 3 pm in Chicago. And I wore all black for the Good Friday service last night at First United. It is a week of mourning, a week of pain, coming after six weeks of Lent.

I am ready to change my wardrobe. Enough fasting. Enough repentance. Enough tears. Enough sadness. I am ready. I know today Jesus lies in the tomb.

But tomorrow it will be Resurrection time. One more day to wait and watch.

1 comment: