Sunday, December 12, 2010

Advent Joy

Joy happens.

Saturday was pretty much overflowing with joy around here.

I spent a couple of hours volunteering at the food pantry with my daughter Emma. What a fantastic place it is. Now our clients shop with small grocery carts, choosing each item they will take home. An army of volunteers stand behind the tables and smile, describing what is available. Over and over, I heard people say, “Thank you. Merry Christmas!” It felt good to give food to more than 300 people in one morning.

Afterward, we delivered a small Christmas tree to our member Henry Hulseberg, who lives at Alden Care Center in Cicero. The tree had been donated by a church family, and Henry’s room was bereft of decorations. Henry himself wasn’t feeling the best that day, either, so it was good to bring some light into his new home. The hallways were filled with children caroling, bringing gifts to the residents, and saying, “Feliz Navidad.”

When I got home in the afternoon, I got a call from my nephew Stephen. He’s 28 years old and has been deployed in the US Army to Afghanistan since January. “I’m in country,” he said. “Getting a ride from Camp Atterbury in southern Indiana. Can you meet me in Valparaiso and pick me up?” I hopped in the car and headed south. Brought him home at 10 pm last night, safe and warm.

Wrapped up my sermon in the same day, on the theme of joy. It seemed just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment