Monday, October 24, 2011

Making Space for Listening

As a pastor, I spend a lot of time listening to people. I hear stories about fears, doubts, health concerns, frustrations, and conflicts. I work hard to be attentive to each person who confides in me, because so often holy conversations can be healing and enlightening.

But I will confess there are times when my attention gets diverted, like a puppy chasing a ball. I lose focus, and I get distracted by related thoughts or background issues. My mind is too busy to concentrate.

I find there is a great value in silence, for creating space in my listening heart. When I practice silent prayer, it allows me to clear out the accumulations of my mind. It's almost like clearing my desk before I begin to work . . . to make space for a new task.

If you would like to improve your ability to listen to other people with empathy and attentiveness, I recommend you practice at least 20 minutes of silent prayer each day. We need to make space for listening, and empty our "self" to make room for the sacred stories of others. That space allows the Spirit to move.

No comments:

Post a Comment